Thursday 2 January 2020

The flower's desire (Pushp ki abhilasha )

A translation of  "Pushp ki abhilasha" by Makhanlal Chaturvedi.

Original (transliteration):
Pushp ki abhilasha
An English lit translation:
The flower's desire
Chah nahin, mai surbala ke
    Gehnon mein guntha jaaon.
Chah nahin premi mala
    Mein bindh pyari ko lalchaon.

Chah nahin samraton ke shav
    Par, he hari, dala jaaon.
Chah nahin devon ke sar
    Par chadhoon, bhagya par ithlaoon.

Mujhey tod lena vanmali,
    Us path par tum dena phaink,
Matri bhoomi per sheesh chadhaney,
    Jis path jaayen veer anek.
 I dream not of superstars,
   Their ornaments to glamorize.
 I dream not of love-garlands,
   Captive beauties to tantalize.

I dream not of emperors dead,
    And lying on their shroud.
I dream not of heads of gods,
    Where of my Fate, I'll be proud.

Gardener, pluck me off my branch,
    And throw me down on that path
On which walk the nation's brave
    Marching to their bloodbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment