My mother published a collection of poems - mostly written by Chandranani Basu, and some by her.
Introduction to "Jugalbandi"
A few days after my marriage in 1962, one day, while cleaning out my mother-in-law's old wooden cupboard, I found a thick bound notebook. I saw that it had many poems written in it and the name 'Chandranani Bose' written on it. I knew that this was the name of my husband's grandmother. I was fascinated by the poems she wrote. Even though she did not receive much formal education at that time (her birth year was 1280 in Bengali, 1874 in English), and despite having become a bride at a young age and raising nine children, her knowledge of language and rhythm was truly astonishing.
Later, my mother-in-law told me that her grandmother-in-law had said that if any of her grandchildren wanted to print her poetry, she should give permission on her behalf.
I thought of printing it at that time, but for various reasons it did not happen. Then, due to my husband's work, I almost forgot about the notebook in the midst of family chores. Today, after all these years, Mrs. Meenakshi Singh, whom I deeply respect, has arranged for it to be printed, and I am eternally grateful to her.
I have published this as a tribute to my grandmother-in-law and as a granddaughter, added a few poems at the end; this is my tribute to her on the occasion of my golden wedding anniversary. If the readers like the collection of poems written by someone who was born 140 years ago, then my effort will be blessed.
Keya Basu
No comments:
Post a Comment