Sunday 25 September 2022

Wild Wind (Pagla Hawa by Salil Chowdhury)

A translation of the song "Pagla Hawa" by Salil Chowdhury.

Original (transliteration):
Pagla Hawa
An English lit translation:
Wild Wind
Pagla hawa
Ki amaro moto
Tumio hariye gele
Fulero bone
Hajaro ronger melaye
Surobhi roder khelaye
Tari nahi pele
Pagol hawa

O wild wind,
Just like me,
Are you too lost,
In a flowery forest,
Where a thousand colours dance,
And fragrant sunbeams play,
She is not to be found.
O wild wind!

Bosonto jokhon
Eshe deke jaye - amaray
Ki jani ki ba roopay
Shay ashay chupay-chupay
Jodate chaye - amaray
Bosonto jokhon...

When spring
Comes to call - ah me!
Who knows in what form
She'll come - unseen, unheard,
To embrace me - ah me!
When spring ...

Bonay bonay tokhon - batashay
Matali banshitay
Ki kotha jaye bolay

In the woods, then- in the airs,
In sensual notes,
O what words she shares.

Ebar sango mon
Hoyeche khela ghore bijoyini
Jhora phulay pollobay
E mala gatho tobay
Poraye dao bijoyini
Ebar sango mon

Now, playmate o' mine,
The game's done, and you've won,
With fallen flowers,
Weave then the garland,
Put it on me, O winner,
Now, playmate o' mine.

Har mano haray - amaray
Sajayo sojoni
Bnadhon dao monay

My defeat I accept - ah me!
Adorn me, paramour,
Bind me with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment